MBS Needs Your Help!
As a growing non-profit organization, MBS is always in need of people like yourself with a desire to help bluebirds. Here are just a few of the tasks we need you to help with:
- Serving on the Board of Directors - we frequently have open positions on the Board to help administer the group. If you enjoy working with others toward a common goal and can attend a quarterly meeting (usually in the southern part of the state), please ask us for more information.
- Becoming a County Coordinator - MBS has a goal of every county in Michigan having a local coordinator to act as a resource for local members and the public on bluebirds. The County Coordinator also helps in educational efforts in their area and to facilitate the gathering of nest box data.
- Serving on a committee - MBS has a number of ongoing committees which do a lot of detailed work to keep MBS going and growing. They are: Newsletter, Website, Education, Monitoring, Fund Raising, Membership, Publicity, and Events. If you have an interest or skills in any of these areas, PLEASE volunteer to help. We especially need Chair People for the Education, Fund Raising, and Event committees which are currently vacant.
- Doing Bluebird Programs for groups - if you love to teach and educate others about bluebirds, making presentations to groups such as schools, garden clubs, nature centers, Audubon societies, senior centers, and at libraries is an area of constant need. We can provide the tools such as a computer-based Powerpoint presentation, handouts, and instructions.
- Building bluebird nest boxes for projects around the state - if you love to build things, we are trying to get more bluebird nesting houses out into the environment around Michigan. As we have the ability to fund the construction of more houses, you can help in building and mounting the boxes outside on new trails.
- Helping to run MBS booths at Nature festivals & events - MBS sets up booths to spread the word about bluebirds and our group at a number of events each year. So, we always need volunteers to work in the booths talking to interested people about bluebirds.
What are the qualifications to being an MBS Volunteer?
All you need is to be a member of MBS in good standing and the desire to help bluebirds. That's it. You don't need to be a bluebird expert. We can train you to do most of the tasks that need to be done.
Current Positions Open:
Director-at-Large - act as an additional resource to help make decisions for MBS
Fund Raising Director - help to create,organize and run fund-raising activities and events
Events Director - plans and coordinates all the details of MBS meetings and events including finding meeting facilities, obtaining speakers, organizing food and beverages, developing agendas, etc.
Education Director - coordinates outside requests for bluebird programs and finds speakers within MBS to fill these requests. Also develops educational materials to be used for programs and at events. Finally, identifies opportunities for MBS to further its educational goals around the state.
County Coordinator - act as a Bluebird resource for your County, help set up Bluebird trails, coordinates thecollection of data for your area